Featured Post

Four Decades Along the Rainbow Road

Friday, August 14, 2009

"Follow the Dodgers"


It took some work but I was finally able to locate the recording of the Dodgers' theme song, "Follow the Dodgers," when they played in Brooklyn. It was made famous by the incomparable Ebbets Field organist, Gladys Goodding. This song was played every time the Dodgers took the field. For my money, it is the best team theme song ever. How they couldn't keep up this tradition in Los Angeles is beyond me.





Rare photograph of Ebbets Field Organist Gladys Goodding seen here
with Pee Wee Reese.  Scanned from the book, "Once a  Bum Always
a Dodger," an autobiography of Don Drysdale.



An excellent biography of Gladys Goodding is seen here 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Steve, this is absolute amazing. I'm old enough to have seen the Dodgers play at Ebbets Field when I was a kid, ages six to ten. I've always remembered this song, which I recall being played after Dodger victories, and maybe when they took the field. I don't know why, but I was thinking about it today and thought I'd take a shot on finding it on the Internet. Thanks to you, I did.

I remembered it perfectly, every note, except I though the words were "Hooray for the Dodgers" rather than "Follow the Dodgers." Anyway, it brings back great memories of a special time when an entire borough totally loved a baseball team, and no wonder: One of my friends lived in a middle class neighborhood, and Gil Hodges lived down the street! It really was OUR team, not a group of super-rich and remote superstars, and our identification with the team was complete. By the way, anyone with memories of those days should read "Wait Till Next Year," by Doris Kearns Goodwin, a wonderful evocation of that more innocent time..

Carl C Larsen said...

Thanks. saw her playing in dept store on 42nd st manhattan i used to cut through as errand boy on fifth ave in late 50's heard she pLAYED 3 BLIND MICE for the umps. !!!!